As part of the HUSHED Blog Tour, I get to interview Ms. York today, and I couldn't be happier! I hope you enjoy the interview, and be sure to check out the giveaway at the end...but first, here's a bit about her debut wonder, HUSHED.
pub date 11/30/2011
product description from goodreads.com
Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.
Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.
But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.
Sounds good, right? Trust me, it is. But don't take just my word for it...check out these rave reviews for HUSHED (which it totally deserves!):
'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---
'How exciting that we live in a time when gay teen protagonists can be
just as screwed up as straight ones -- and their stories just as creepy!'
--- Brent Hartinger, award-winning author of Geography Club and Shadow
Believe me when I say these awesome reviews are spot-on!
Here's a bit about the author herself, Kelley York:
Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides
with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she
does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a
fascination with bells, adores all things furry - be them squeaky, barky
or meow-y - is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to
pretend she's a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real
unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.
Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres
from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers,
paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character
development takes center stage.
Kelley's website: http://www.kelley-york.com/blog
And now, on to the interview!
1. HUSHED is a great blend of darkness and light, showcasing how one person can be both good and bad simultaneously. Did you find writing such a multi-dimensional story easier or more difficult than writing one focusing on just the good or bad?
2. Archer, though an evil murderer by society's standards, pulls on your heart relentlessly throughout this book. Though he does bad things, you feel for him and ultimately root for him. Was this a difficult character to write? And is Archer based on a real-life person (well, besides the whole 'killing' thing, lol)?
3. Evan. Ah, Evan. When you think of someone you'd like to run into and fall in love with and spend the rest of your life with, Evan is definitely on that list. He's smart and sincere and considerate and loving...the total opposite of Viv. Was the decision to have a bad and good character in Archer's life a conscious one on your part, or did one or both of these characters grow into what we read?
4. Do you have any plans to write more about Archer and Evan and Viv? Like, perhaps, a sweet, romantic comedy about Archer and Evan?!! ;-)
5. And finally, the question I ask all interviewees. If you were stranded on a deserted island with only one book to read, which would it be and why?
Thanks so much, Kelley, for taking time to visit today! HUSHED was a fantastic read that sucked me in and didn't let go until it was over...nicely done! Can't wait to read more from you!